Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Keeping Kids Out of the Middle

My latest Huffington Post Divorce article came out last week.  I feel more strongly about this one than the others because it relates to kids dealing with divorce.  There is nothing more important than making sure your kids are as well-adjusted as they can be during this tough time.

To me, the most difficult and most important thing to do, especially in the beginning stages for separation and divorce is to put aside your own anger in front of your kids.  I am a big believer in leaving your kids out of your issues.  It is vital to their adjustment and keeping them out of the middle.

One thing I did not include in this article was NOT to vent on Facebook or Twitter.  These are private issues, and even if your kids are young or you don't think they have access, they will find out.  And whatever wrong you are venting will pale in comparison to the public venting in their minds.  You should never say or do something you wouldn't want your kids to see.  It's a good gauge for behavior in most situations.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment